Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I would agree that freshmen, like Michael Mayer and Kyle Hamilton should get to play, as they did. It would seem to me that WR and RB are the 2 positions that seem to allow talented freshmen to get on the field the quickest. It would also seem to me that OL is the one position where it is rare for a freshman to be able to start, always seems better to have a year in the weight room and learning for those guys. Clearly there are exceptions, we've had a few guys start as freshmen on the OL but there is usually a price to pay. That said if they win the job on the practice field then more power to them! I just wish we had some Jr and Sr's who won the job on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

IMO, if a freshman wins a starting position, it speaks more to the lack of upper class OL talent than it does to the ability of the freshman. I say this because I agree with Terry's comment above. No matter how high the talent level, no freshman has ever been up against the the strength and agility of seasoned D-1 DL and LBs. It's my belief that they'll get eaten alive. Several years ago we started a freshman OL who had the size to play the position. I don't remember his name. I vaguely recall that he was so-so his freshman year and maybe his sophomore year (Someone who remembers him can correct me if I'm wrong.) He started all 4 years and developed into a very good OL once he developed the strength and technique that he didn't have as a first year player. Bottom line: If we start one or two freshmen on the OL, I won't expect us to have a strong running game or "brick wall" protection for our passing game. I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I agree with Terry and Sid. I think at many schools freshmen OLs are redshirted. They don't begin to use up eligibility until they've been in weight room and practice for a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

I would have to agree Sid, although it's not like the guys in the Soph/Jr/Sr classes were all low rated OL recruits, just the opposite most of them were well thought of by the "gurus" . So why have they stepped up and put these freshmen in their place, that worries me and makes your point insightful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Softball is on an 11 game win streak, and finishes the season this weekend with Boston College in for 4 games to end the season, they are pretty much locked into 5th place in the ACC.

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I want players on the field. Their age is immaterial to me.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Dillon Gibbons and OL has entered the Portal, likely to be a few more as the Portal is currently very hot spot for players who aren't going to be starting, or the very least can't see that they'll ever start at their current school.

Also in the other type of bad news, the Fulmer Cup type. C'Bo Flemister left the scene of an accident. It was a 1 car accident, and he walked away. Usually that leaving the scene is a strategy to avoid the alcohol breath test or other substances that impair driving.

When police got to the scene, they found the car crashed with the airbags deployed, nobody in the vehicle and the keys missing.

Police believe Flemister was headed west on South Bend Ave. and ran off the road and into the concrete median.

The police report estimates the damage is between $10,001-$25,000.

Prosecutors say Flemister initially told police that night that his car was taken without permission from Eddy Street Commons.

However, during a police interview on May 3, Flemister admitted to driving the car and leaving before police arrived.

Notre Dame Football’s C’Bo Flemister charged with leaving the scene of an accident

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Just a footnote to our discussion of OL, the Lions first round pick Penei Sewell was an absolute stud from the moment het got to Oregon. As a freshman he was rated the second best OL in the PAC. He had 2 yrs. of eligibility left when he entered the draft since he opted out for the 2020 season. As a freshman he started 13 games and didn't allow a sack.
    As to Spindler, I recall his dad who played for the Lions. The guy was a good football player who was involved in media after he retired. His dad was the defensive HS All American defensive lineman. If nothing else he's got football pedigree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt there are always exceptions to the rule that OL should red shirt and get in the weight room. Walker Little an OL from Houston who was a 5 star coming out of HS and went to Stanford also started as a freshman at Stanford and had a great year. Of course we all remember what a stud Orlando Pace was from the time he set foot on the campus at Ohio State.

So it can happen. I hope it happens for our guys if they do in fact start.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Like I said, I’d love to be proven wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Irish baseball loses it's first series of the year to FSU.

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Read that Chris Finke has signed with the Chiefs. Kid has a big heart.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

On the NIL .....

Blake Lawrence is a former Nebraska linebacker and the CEO of Opendorse, one of the most prominent pop-up companies poised to help players capitalize on NIL opportunities once they come online. Opendorse ranked the top NFL Draft prospects this spring by projected NIL opportunities, with Ian Book at No. 12 despite his selection in the fourth round. Opendorse’s algorithm, the equivalent of a Zestimate on real estate clearinghouse Zillow, had Book’s projected earning capacity at $2,100 for an Instagram post and nearly $300 for a tweet.

14. Terry O'Keefe

ND lacrosse both men's and women's are in the NCAA tournament. Men have a good enough team to make some noise, not as sure about the women.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Say what you will about the women's team but they did something that no other women's team has ever done in the playoffs...they pitched a shutout. After blanking Robert Morris, they beat Virginia handily in the second round. They're not highly ranked but they proved that they belonged in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gator women are in the tournament and we have a pretty good team.

Gators don't have a mens team.

17. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt UF/SEC not having men's lacrosse is a Title IX issue, as it is in the Big 12 and B12 doesn't have men's soccer either for Title IX reasons as well.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Bill for giggles I looked up Fla's Lacrosse and to my surprise you guys are league champions...not of the SEC but of the American Athletic Conference!! SEC doesn't have lacrosse. So I looked at Alabama who doesn't do Women's Lacrosse but does do Rowing another sport the SEC doesn't have a championship. They play in the B12 for Rowing!

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I knew about our Lacrosse team but didn't know about Bama's rowing team. Interesting, thanks.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Notre Dame Alumni, Nina King was announced as Kevin White's replacement as the Athletic Director at Duke. She's the 3rd black woman to lead a Power 5 Conference Athletic Dept. Congratulations. It does seem like Notre Dame has a lot of it's grads that are Athletic Directors.