I write this not because you were like family, I write because you are family

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by IrishCorey, Apr 22, 2021.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I do apologize for being away from the board for so long, but I've had so much going on, I barely have time for a microblogging platform, let alone a real life house such as this.

I wish it were better news that brought me here tonight, but that is not to be the case.

Earlier, my mother went to wake my Dad up to see if he wanted something to eat, but she couldn't wake him. 911 was called, as well as all of the local kids, but it was too late. James D. O'Connor III (JOCO) had died peacefully in his sleep.

My mother has one simple request at this time and that is you PLEASE do NOT post anything on social media (Facebook) about my dad's passing. She wants to deal with this in her own time, at her own speed. You will know when that time has come.

As an additional personal note, I do hope you all know how much he loved, revered and cherished every moment that he got to spend with you folks, either online or in person.

I simply can't muster any more than this at this time, but I assure you I will be around more in the coming days, weeks, months etc. He truly loved very few things. His family, the Dodgers, Notre Dame and you guys. I hope you know just how much joy and enrichment you brought him over the years, because at one point in time or another, I promise you that you did.

-Corey

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Got Bless the entire O'Connor family. Jim may you RIP and Diane we all will be thinking about you, Corey and your loss. I am confident Jim is in a better place right now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm so, so sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

I am devastated..He was my friend of almost 30 years. joel

• Like Like x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I don't know what to say, JO'Co was such a great guy. We go back to the old Prodigy Days, there are so many memories. I'm just so sorry for you, Diane and the whole O'Connor clan. I will miss him a lot, his wisdom, his wit and his humor.

God Bless and protect you and the family.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to read this Corey. Your Dad was probably the main reason I have been on SB for three decades as reading his posts always brightened or enhanced my day with his wisdom, intelligence, and incredible humor. My deepest condolences to your Mom, everyone in the family, and to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

OMG, RIP Jim and condolences to the O'Connor family. It will not be the same around here.

When I was teaching math at the community college I took a number of students to Okland for a convention. I let JO'Co know I was going to be there and was very fortunate we were able to get together. He picked me up and we went out to dinner. It was a great evening and I hopped one day we would be able to get together again but it won't be.

His wit, sports knowledge, history knowledge and ability to write were amazing.

He will be missed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

Don please e mail me jiffer3333@aol.com

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

It's hard to know what to say. JO'Co was such a big part of all of our lives here. He educated us, entertained us, and was our friend. Deepest sympathy to all his family.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Words can't suffice to describe the devastation of this loss. He was one of the strongest pillars of this community. I considered him, along with Diane and Corey, one of my closest friends. He brought so much light, love, and laughter to so many people far beyond the Skybox. I, like many others here, felt a special bond with Jim. That's the kind of man he was. His loss will be mourned. He will be missed. Rest in peace, my brother.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I've been sitting here for 10 minutes and still don't have any words. My heart goes out to Corey, Diane, and all the friends and family.
    We have lost a huge piece of our little outpost, and it won't be the same...

• Like Like x 2
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

My soul is crying. My favorite voice here has gone silent. Our deepest sympathies to the wonderful O'Connor clan. If there's anything we can do please ask.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Say it isn't so Corey... JO'Co passing was the farthest thing from my mind when I logged on today. My condolences to all of the O'Connor family.

• Like Like x 2
  14. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

This hurts deep and leaves a huge hole.

I am sorry Corey and Diane.

• Like Like x 2
  15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You dad meant the world to me on here. Like many, we have had this BB friendship since the 90s on Prodigy. His sense of history and his ability to re-tell it is unrivaled. Rest in Peace , old friend. The next time I see you I will have some more questions...... Corey, my heartfelt sympathy to the O'Connors.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

JO'Co's last post was in the Play Ball Thread, the Padre Report.

His last activity was Tues when he gave gipper a thumbs up for a post in the Topic " Any ideas" and gipper again a Winner flag for his post in the Corona Virus topic.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

My heart and sympathy goes out to your family Corey, we have truly lost a family member in his passing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I proud to say that I spent 3 different occasions with the Coach. Not nearly enough, but honored to do it that many times versus never. RIP Coach.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Corey,

Stunned is how I feel reading your post on the passing of your Dad. Simply stunned. I haven't been on the board much lately at all and really over the last year or so mostly health reasons. JO'Co and Terry were very instrumental in getting me to see my first live ND game in Austin and then later in SB. It goes all the way back to the old Prodigy bulletin boards and I have never forgotten him for it nor your Mom or you and your whole family. I have a picture of him, Terry and myself on the wall that was taken at the before the game against Texas in Austin back in '96 . That's when I met him in person for the first time. Please accept my very heartfelt sympathy for you and your family members. He will never be forgotten.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Just remembering this morning how I loved to read JO’Cos post after a game in South Bend and he would recap the whole trip including the game usually. It seemed ever time he went he had a story to tell and he was good at it. He and Diane took us out for a meal while we were in LA doing the Disneyland thing with our son Brian in ‘97. He was a great person and I’m glad that I was able to meet and know him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021