Notre Dame Winter

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I thought I'd start a new ND topic so you guys don't have endure the whining Irish! :D

Wah, Brian Kelly sucks, wah wah recruiting isn't fair, wah wah wah ND football players have to go to class, etc! :eek::eek:

But the Irish just got a commitment from former Wisconsin QB, Jack Coan. He didn't play this year due his foot injury, but he was pretty good in 2019 leading the Badgers to the Big 10 West title, losing to the Buckeyes. He played in the Rose Bowl losing by 1 point to Oregon.

Interesting tidbit, he was a highly recruited lacrosse player who was headed to ND, before the Badgers offered him as a QB.

With no returning Qb with any experience, this could be very good. This year's backup is going to have to have off-season knee surgery, the 3rd string guy is a true freshman who also did not get more than a few snaps and the new 2021 Qb who is highly rated didn't play HS football this fall because CA canceled all football this fall, so even as an early enrollee he's very rusty..

So to me it's a good thing. Welcome to ND Jack!

• Like Like x 3
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Coan is from Sayville NY which is in Suffolk Long Island. I spent my summers and weekends in the Sayville area and had good friends who were locals there and played for Sayville HS. I was surprised when I saw him playing for W that he was from Sayville but now that he's transferred to ND I'm really surprised. (My mother made me take Latin one summer at Sayville HS so I'm almost an alum.:))

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Looking at the players who will not be returning.

Ian Book ...no surprise, expected

Liam Echinberg...no surprise, expected

Aaron Banks ..a little surprise...many thought if he came back and moved to LT it would help his draft status..but he's going to be drafted in the 1st 3 rounds and have a degree so I don't blame him

Robt. Hainsey..no surprise, expected

Tommy Kraemer..slight surprise, some thought he might come back to improve draft status, but he was injured last year and had some minor injuries this year, so with degree in hand and healthy I don't blame him

Tommy Tremble...a bit of a surprise, I think most thought he would come back and see if he could get more involved in the offense as a pass catcher, but again a guy with his degree and he's probably looking at the unsettle QB situation and a mostly new OL and decided to take his chances. If the NFL listens to Tony Dungy he'll be drafted.

Brock Wright ..a bit of a surprise, again a guy who hasn't caught a lot of balls, and maybe if he'd come back he'd get more but he has to figure that after 4 years if they don't throw him the ball why would they start now. He'll be a late draft pick or UDFA. I'll bet he does make a practice squad somewhere though.

JOK ..no surprise will be a top 15 NFL draft pick likely.

Ogie Oghoufo...a bit of a surprise, he's in the Portal, I've seen that he's been passed on the depth chart and could end up not getting as many snaps in 2021. So time to find somewhere he can get more snaps.

Houston Griffith ...a bit of a surprise. He played a lot this year as a backup, but again i've read that many of the guru's think he'd not likely be the starter next year. So into the Portal..

Isiaiah Rutherford...to the Portal. Didn't play much and wasn't expected to play much in the future.

Jafar Armstrong ..to the Portal...wasn't in the future plans at RB or WR .

Colin Grunhard ..to the Portal...started as a walkon and wasn't really in the plans for the OL other than as a good soldier who did whatever was asked but unlikely to ever get much if any playing time.

Jahmir Smith ...to the Portal...left the team early in the season and was dealing with mental health issues, stayed in school and i think he might have graduated. But was not going to be in the rotation at RB in the future.

Probably will be a few more coming sometime in January.

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

So that is 12 gone in addition to the actual seniors leaving with no eligibility. We have lots of room for new faces, that's for sure.

5. Terry O'Keefe

The incoming freshman class is very large, 27, and add to that Jack Coan and possible other transfers in and also a couple more freshmen recruits including Logan Diggs at RB and it could maybe end up at around 30 new faces.

It's free agency out there now and as I said there is going to be more movement than ever in the Portal.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Jack Lamb to the Portal. Another player who just hasn't been able to get on the field. He had injury issues that held him back to some degree, but he just couldn't get any traction to compete for the starting job.

I won't be shocked if Bertrand also enters the portal, other than he really wanted to be a ND so much so that he came without a scholarship when he could have had one at a number of other D1 schools. So maybe he'll be ok with being a part of the team and graduating.

7. Terry O'Keefe

8. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Nick McCloud to the NFL. He was a grad transfer, but with the free Covid year could have come back.

I'm surprised.

10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Nick McCloud's chances in the NFL are only slightly better than my own based on what I saw in the last two games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I agree George, but I don't blame him. He's got his degree from NC State and he played another year and was injury free. His last season was cut short due to injury, probably why he wanted to Grad Transfer somewhere that would allow him to play a lot and show what he can do...or can't do.

He really hasn't anything to gain by coming back for another year at ND, plus he'd have to go to class this Spring in order to maintain eligibility, this way he's done with classes and can focus on working out with trainers and all so he can have a good "Pro" Day . I doubt if he gets invited to the combine.

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

14. Terry O'Keefe

Colin Grunhard is going to Kansas, he's from Mission KS which isn't too far from KU. Reading a KU page they are pumped to be getting him, I imagine he's going there with eyes wide open, they are 3-18 in the Hat's 2 years. But I imagine he just wants to play and at KU he's probably going to be the starter at Center or at the least in the mix to play next year. Good luck to him, seems like a class act.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Colin's dad was a stud lineman at both ND and in the pros. He played for the Chiefs for more than a decade. His dad had a short stint at KU as O line coach.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

While the story right now is guys leaving the program either to the NFL or to the Transfer Portal ...I saw that the Irish are very interested in Illinois DE Owen Carney. From what I read I'd expect that he'll get an offer from ND soon, he'd be a good addition to the defense if he accepts. I imagine a lot of the players in the transfer portal will be making up their minds in the next couple of weeks so that they can enroll at their new school and be eligible for Spring Drills.

Illinois senior defensive end Owen Carney is entering the transfer portal, he announced via social media on Wednesday. The senior earned All-Big Ten Second Team honors from both coaches and media after finishing third in the Big Ten in sacks (5.0) this season and 11th in tackles for loss.

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

He'd have a better chance of getting into the Olympics....as a hurdle

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

That video might replace that video of the hit Jadaveon Clowney made on the Mich RB in a bowl game that knocked his helmet off...

19. Terry O'Keefe

A poster on another board said this about Jack Coan and his lacrosse background. It was in response to a question about his athleticism at QB.

I really never paid attention to him playing football at Wisconsin, so I can't speak at all to his supposed lack of speed and athleticism on the football field. But I do know a thing or two about lacrosse, and someone who played attack and was offered by Notre Dame could in no way be slow and un-athletic. Think Mikey Wynne or Ryder Garnsey...no one would say that about them. The point is, you can't be a D-I lacrosse player and be slow at ANY position. He may not have break away top end speed like a midfielder might, but he certainly has some quickness in his feet, excellent balance, a terrific eye for passing, and is a tough SOB to play the X on attack. Those guys take some serious shots from defenders. It is essentially the QB of lacrosse. He also played in New York, which means he play at the highest levels in high school and club.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I watched most of last nights disappointing loss to Boston College by the Irish womens basketball team. They were up by 12 points with under 4 minutes left and then just blew it, BC went on a 16-1 run to finish them off, they couldn't inbound the ball , bring the ball up court against the BC press and when they did they dribbled the ball around and several times didn't even get off a shot. It had to be hard for Coach Ivey to watch that collapse. They had one last shot to win with 10 secs to play but even after a time out the play went south as soon as they got the ball in and a wild shot pretty much ended it.

The team is young for sure, but that doesn't account for that collapse.

The last of the major AA teams were announced and the Irish had 2 first teamers with Echinberg and JOK, 2 second teamers in Banks and Hamilton. JOK is officially a unanimous AA the first on defense since Manti Te'o in 2012, and the first for ND since Q.Nelson in 2017. A good season next year by Hamilton could result in him being a 2 time AA.

No word on the DCoord. Marcus Freeman is clearly the 1st choice and the competition will be tough, Eddie O wants him at LSU and they reportedly have made him a very big $$$ offer. He reportedly likes ND and with Elko and Lea it's clear that if you do a good job you can get National recognition at ND, but I don't know if ND is going to be willing to pay 2million + for salary.

If he doesn't come, other names are the Miss State and UNC DCoord.