College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Just had to post this..Mack can dance for a old dude can't he!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Seeing Mack aka Mr. February, dance so well, brings me to recruiting.

Schools still can not allow on campus visits. I have to wonder when they will be able to do that. Consider all that is being done just to bring the players back, the testing, the housing, etc. Brian Kelly had this to say about bringing in recruits and their family for an official visit.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Did that Clemson founder/donor being owning slaves after Hopkins started playing for Clemson? He is so outraged by someone 100 years ago not living up to the morality of today that he happily accepted a scholarship, strength and conditioning, training, and publicity (and education?), from that racist institution until he was drafted, then realized how historically racist that institution was? Interesting.

I find it preposterous to judge people from 100 years ago (Calhoun was close to 200 years ago) based on a single litmus test of morality based on today's societal developments. I absolutely agree with having a complete and thorough accounting of their life and what they were about, but just as today almost nobody is completely evil or completely angelic, so they were 100-200 years ago. Calhoun likely did a lot of good with his life, or he wouldn't have had his name on the school in the first place. Balance that with the atrocious choice of owning slaves, but erasing him from history loses the opportunity to advance the discussion of the topics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I watch sports to escape the world's stresses and realities. I've always wanted to remove political statements from my entertainment, not be confronted by them. Their job is to entertain me, not preach to me. One argument is that is the most visible platform available to them, so it is their right (obligation?) to use it for their selected cause. So be it, and I'll continue to exercise my right to remove that platform by turning the tv. Political causes and shouts of attention don't need to be in my life 24/7. Hollywood can't refrain from keeping that crap out of entertainment, can college FB?

• Like Like x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Kesley, that is your right as well. Taking a stand for something that is important to you almost always comes with a cost.

7. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt there will be fans outraged by seeing members of their favorite team kneeling during that Nat'l Anthem and fans who are understanding. I do wonder how the teams will handle it, will they kneel as a team or just individuals. I wonder if some coaches will ask those who don't want to stand for the Anthem to stay in the locker room during it's playing, I think that would probably be a bad idea.

We had a Houston Texan, Kenny Stills, who kneeled during the Nat'l Anthem last season. He wasn't fined or punished. When he was traded for from the Dolphins it was talked about in the media and then after the 1st game it wasn't ever mentioned again.

I hope that's how these things play out this season, talked about but then they just are part of the pre-game. Like players getting in groups or alone to say a pre-game prayer.

8. Terry O'Keefe

10 programs have now annoucned that they have at least 1 player who tested positive. I'm surprised it's not more.

9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Looks like the NCAA is prepared to add a couple of weeks to the football preseason to make up for lost practice time this past spring. Supposedly they will vote sometime this week and maybe as early as today. Walk through without pads might be used to avoid more Covid19 exposure?

10. Terry O'Keefe

Add Texas to the list of teams with a couple of players who tested positive. Longhorns first wave of players was 58 and 2 tested positive another test positive for the antibodies. Another wave of players of players will be coming next Monday.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I've seen reports that there will be a 6 week period before the opening of traditional fall camp where players can workout under the supervision of the coaching staff, something that was not allowed previously. Summer workouts were run by the Training/Medical staff or at least supervised for the health and safety of the players. Coaches weren't allowed to even watch them, but now coaches might be able to be involved as you indicated. I think it's a good thing for this season.

12. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

With everything that is going on I find myself the LEAST interested an upcoming football season than I ever remember. Both Pro and College.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

At the very least this will be an asterisk season, no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Yikes! Longhorn athletes want to have the Eyes of Texas removed as the School song!

15. Terry O'Keefe

6 Univ of Houston athletes have tested positive, what is different is that some of them had symptoms. Houston has shutdown it's voluntary workout program as a result.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Re Eyes of Texas...

Easy solution— adopt Gucci Mane’s version

Here are your new lyrics

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  17. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

60 Texas football players will report today and start voluntary workouts. They have been tested and 2 tested positive and 1 tested positive for the antibodies. This group today will be players who live off campus.

As COVID-19 cases surge around state, Texas prepares to begin voluntary workouts

No word on what the University will be doing in response to the students/players requests that were posted on social media. Hopefully there will be meetings that take this seriously and ways figured out going forward to make the University a better more accepting place for black students.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Texas return to practice...

Del Conte told The Horn that Tom Herman’s football program begins the onboard process for student-athletes this week, beginning with sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Freshmen and other “incomers” will start the onboarding process this weekend. The players will undergo physicals and receive both the nasal swab and antibody tests for COVID-19.

“Once we get a baseline of what has taken place, from there we’ll then have daily heat checks, questionnaires are going to follow, then we’ll continue to monitor them moving forward.” Del Conte said. “After you get your initial test and know where we’re at, there’s no need to continue to test until you have symptoms. When you have symptoms, then we’ll test and we’ll start the quarantine process and who you’ve been in contact with.”

Texas sent each student-athlete a 50-page manual detailing safe practices for the return to campus described by Del Conte as “way too much to read.” The manual’s goal was to instill habits that would help stop the spread including washing hands, limiting contact, and wearing a mask. He hopes education will keep the campus community safe, and create a pathway for the regular football season to take place.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Iowa parted ways with their S&C coach who has been there since 1999 over allegations of poor treatment of black players. He's denied the allegations, but not sure how he's going to win that fight. I doubt if he'll ever be able to work as S&C coach on any level again.