College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Assuming the a formentioned is accurate, I think Coach Norvell probably is in for a lot of negative feedback and trouble in his first year at FSU!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

He certainly needs to move quickly to correct the situation with doing what he claimed he was doing in that tweet and apologizing sincerely to the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Just like having bars open and crowded like they are now where I live.... and my county yesterday had it's highest new cases by far of 81 confirmed in one day.... college football will just have to deal with the new Covid reality.
    I hear some Alabama players returning and other school's returning players as well tested positive for Covid. They just have to test and separate when this happens and move forward.
    Several Alabama football players test positive for Covid-19, per reports - CNN
    I think it's a big mistake to just cancel the season so they have to move forward in a new Covid tinged world. Can you imagine the price tag on one ticket of only 25,000 allowed sold for Michigan-OSU on StubHub?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Unlike Mike Norvell, who had a lot of fence mending, Tom Herman of Texas is getting a lot praise for how he's handled things

Longhorns Wil be starting to bring the players to camp soon. One of the moderators on Inside Texas said this.

Starting Monday they will have virus
    screenings, and physical testing. Workouts will begin the following Monday. Then the next group will come in and have corona testing, physicals, and the rest. It’s just easier to manage the new protocols like this.

5. Terry O'Keefe

I fully expect that almost all of the teams will have positive tests, most of them will be players who have no symptoms

6. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

So if a player tests positive it's like he's on the injury list for about two weeks I would assume?
    So when Florida has Georgia coming up and it's the most critical game of the season somehow Mullen has to get his players to self quarantine for two weeks before.
    Can't lose Trask for instance before the big game to Covid.....

7. Terry O'Keefe

A number of sites say that the NCAA, is set to announce a plan to launch the 2020 season. It's going to be a 6 week phased plan.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This season is definitely going to be different in preparation. We will meet Penn State in a partial "Whiteout" at noon on Fox TV in Happy Valley! (Saturday October 24th.)

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Looks like the firestorm that erupted after Floyd’s death in Minneapolis has engulfed the Iowa program. Quite a few black ex players have posted complaints on Twitter about racist treatment they endured from various coaches with the longtime S&C coach being the most frequently named. I do not think this story is going to end soon.

Former Players Criticize Iowa Football's Racial Disparities, Cultural Issues

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah it looks bad for Iowa right now. I see that Dabo is defending an incident from a couple of years ago where one of his coaches used the n-word towards a black player during practice.

As much as we all probably think our favorite programs are not going to be touched by this type of accusation, I'm going to guess that incidents like what are being alleged at Iowa are more common than we think.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I'm not so sure that all of the Clemson coaches were guilty of.using the word against anyone. It appears that some of the incidents were just a case of repeating the word or even telling people what word not to use. It seems kind of ridiculous that there is a word we can't say no matter the situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Terry O'Keefe

kp, yeah it was just one incident at least that is what is being reported and it was one coach and there are two sides to the story for sure. One player recently posted about it and was upset because it wasn't addressed with the team. My point is that if you dig deep enough these aren't likely isolated incidents.

Also I see that D'Andre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson have come out and said they are part of a group of Clemson Alums who want the name removed from one of the colleges at Clemson because it's a person who was a slave holder and expressed belief that slaves were genetically inferior, subhuman, etc.

Hopkins says it's the reason why when introduced at NFL games he nevers says Clemson.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I really do hope that the Iowa situation is just an outlier. I see a lot of coaches all over college football getting with their players and giving them a voice and listening to them. Seems very positive. It's going to be hard enough getting things going in the middle of the pandemic.

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Looks like some Iowa players are in full woke mode.

Iowa football players put fans on notice: Support their movement or don't support the Hawkeyes

The player who indicated that he would rather play in front of 1k people who support his position of anthem kneeling and hopes the other 69k stay home probably needs to take a few economic courses at Iowa as there will be no college football and no scholarships for players if the stands are empty on game day.

Those who support kneeling insist that they are not disrespecting our county but are only highlighting the fact that racism must by addressed by our country. But, many people disagree and view the act as metaphorically spitting on those who served our country such as the young men who died in war fighting to end slavery or stop the Nazi’s goal of world domination and the eradication of Jews from the face of the Earth. The proponents of anthem kneeling now seemingly demand the public accept their interpretation of their actions and demand that those who state opinions to the contrary be humiliated and shunned until they apologize such as Drew Brees. I hope we don’t reach a point in our country where those having different opinions on fundamental social issues refuse to debate and persuade but insist that their position be accepted by all as that will cause this country to plunge into a violent abyss.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  15. Terry O'Keefe

I agree Bob, the NFL is going to support kneeling and I think some (maybe a lot) of college players will want that same right. In the past college players have not kneeled they have stood for the Nat'l Anthem, that might come to an end this season. I imagine it's going to be a tough decision for coaches who are right now spending a lot of time making sure their teams are racially together, when a player or multiple players want to kneel this season it's going to be tough to deny them.

Inspite of the NFL saying it's ok to kneel this season, I'm not sure that all the fans will be on board with that and college fans will likely be divided as well.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah, Terry, just another threat to college football. These players can either play in front of paying fans or not. They have.been playing in front of fans that may not agree with them their whole lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

One of the issues coaches, all coaches, going to face is key players testing positive game week. Here's what Brian Kelly had to say on Scott Van Pelt's show.

18. Bobdawolverweasel

My guess is that some schools/media will try to finesse away fan backlash by playing the anthem before the players step on the field or not televising it. Others, as you say, will carry on as before but allow player protest. The backlash against kneeling was pretty fierce last time. The question now is whether the Floyd unrest will cause fans who were against kneeling to be more accepting of it or cause them to become even more angered by the act. There will always be political and social issues that impact sports but I can see fans walking away if sports and the culture/ social justice wars become intertwined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

I have to admit I was one of those fans who did not like the players kneeling for the Nat'l Anthem. I wasn't outraged, not going to watch or anything like that, but I wanted them to take their protest out of the game and do it on their own time.

But with the current National unrest, I say if players want to kneel I'm OK with that.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I've always felt the 1st amendment overrode paying homage to a symbol. I may not agree with the gesture but there's a lot of things I don't agree with, but I live with it. I submit this would be a good lesson for the student athletes.