Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Their number of new cases was down to 419 on May 9th.... so that's a real positive as well.
    Let's hope that trend continues.
    Meanwhile Texas seems to be spiking upward so that bears watching as well.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

History....Both of my parents were alive during the Spanish Flu epidemic 1918-1920. My mom would have been a toddler and my dad would have been early teens. I never heard any stories about this from them. Dad esp would have been aware you would think, mom being so young would have easily not really noticed anything. I'm unaware that any family member was affected by the Spanish Flu.

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Texas is one of the few states that is re-opening that still looks a bit worrisome. I would describe it as a very gradual but continuous increase...not "spiking upward" but like everything else, I guess both of our views of graphs is skewed by our politics.

Texas Coronavirus Map and Case Count

4. Motorcity Gator

It's going to get pretty hard to tell what the curve is with all of the different ways to post cases whether confirmed or suspected vs. number of tests etc. vs. censured data etc. etc.
    It may boil down to hospitalizations and deaths as the only real indicators of what's going on out there.
    If those numbers show a decrease then it's working.

5. Stu Ryckman

I have said deaths and hospitalizations all along should be the measure. Not cases (nor presumed cases).

6. Terry O'Keefe

7. Motorcity Gator

That is the kind of positive news we need..... and not surprising that the brilliant minds at Oxford are coming up with it.

And another trial by Oxford on the usefulness of hydroxychloriquine can help to settle the issue of that drug's potential.
    If it truly proves to be a significant benefit that's awesome but keep in mind a trial and subsequent analysis takes months to complete.... so what Trump is doing is totally without merit until it's proven otherwise.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. Motorcity Gator

Wow compare the state of Washington's curve to that of Texas, Wi. and Fla.
    They must be doing something right in Wa.:
    What's open and closed

9. Stu Ryckman

There are so many demographic differences in states...and if you look at the curves...they aren't all that much different. The one thing I notice about Wisconsin is that yes, the case rate keeps climbing...but the death number continues to go down. Perhaps due to increased testing.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Maybe so, but are you saying that he doesn't have the right to do that? Besides 1) he is doing it under medical supervision and 2) The drug is being taken every day by a lot of people for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and of course prevention of Malaria. I have a number of patients in the Oil industry that have to be on it when they go to certain areas of the world.

The fact that it is being studied indicates researchers think it may be effective, won't know till it's studied.

11. Motorcity Gator

Trump is 74 with some underlying heart issues and he is the sitting president of the U.S.
    He's not the ideal volunteer for such an experimental use of a drug whose effectiveness is not known for a disease he doesn't currently have. I would like to see a show of hands in the medical field who think that's a wise move on his part.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Stu Ryckman

Ok...I'm in the medical field and I don't think he's doing anything wrong. Find something worthwhile to complain about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Motorcity Gator

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Motorcity Gator

Another study.... this one published by JAMA:
    Treatment With Hydroxychloroquine or Azithromycin and In-Hospital Mortality in Patients With COVID-19

Basic conclusion was that hydroxychloriphine did not improve mortality rates in this particular study but did have heart abnormality side effects.

Hey I hope Trump renders going to school to be a scientist or a medical researcher or an epidemiologist or an MD relatively useless and ineffective..... that he is much smarter than those who would profess to be smarter than he is. Who wants to wear a mask if you don't have to? Who wants to stay at home when you can get out in the world and enjoy a normal life again and earn a good living and get this economy back on it's feet.
    He wants badly what all of us want.... ( especially so he can be re-elected )....
    So I have said all along let's get er done.... and go Donald go!!!
    But don't blame others if coming back too soon fails miserably and thousands upon thousands more die due in part to the bad examples you set and your lack of leadership and don't try to distract with false Obamagate lies and don't try to keep safety conscious voters from being able to vote in November.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Stu Ryckman

Hmmm...so what is it you want? The whole country to be in ruins? Cuz that's where we'd be going if we don't try some reasonable steps to open the economy back up. You always attribute the worst motives to anyone who disagrees with you. Did you know that several large prestigious hospitals are having/allowing their health care providers to take Hydroxychloroquine prophylactically? This article is a little old but we're talking the philosophy of medical providers here (that was what your "show of hands" post was about, wasn't it?)

'Balancing the potential for benefit with the potential for harm’: How Boston hospitals are using hydroxychloroquine on coronavirus patients - The Boston Globe

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stu Ryckman

17. Stu Ryckman

I also have to note the following quote from the JAMA study you cite;

"Patients who received hydroxychloroquine with or without azithromycin were more likely (relative to patients receiving neither drug) to be male, have preexisting medical conditions, and have impaired respiratory or liver function at presentation."

18. Stu Ryckman

Also, encouragingly, in the CNN/Health article you posted it seems that the CDC is lowering it's estimate of the fatality rate of the virus;

"About a third of coronavirus infections have no symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance.
    It said its "best estimate" is that 0.4% of people who show symptoms and have Covid-19 will die. And an estimated 40% of coronavirus transmission occurs before people feel sick.
    In the most severe scenario, the CDC assumes that 1% of people overall with Covid-19 and symptoms will die. In the least severe scenario, it puts that number at 0.2%."

19. Motorcity Gator

Uh yes Stu we talked about Henry Ford in Detroit conducting a field trial to see if hydroxychlorophine could actually prevent Covid. It will be 3-4 months at least they say for preliminary results but hey Donald may have some big time conclusions by Memorial Day..... lol
    And I don't care how Red the rag is that says Covid is diminishing if it's the actual truth and holds true because of relaxed socializing etc. then let's pack 100,000 in a college football stadium and reduce it even further!!

20. Motorcity Gator

It will be interesting to see if the drug keeps healthy young people from getting Covid.... keeping any large segment of the population from getting it would be huge. But again..... Trump does not fit the criteria.