Dare to be great

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, May 9, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I loved reading this article about Florida damn football by God..... not IF there's gonna be football but about what happens WHEN there's gonna be football and what it will take for Florida to go from being a very good football team to a great one this season:

Dooley: Can these Florida players go from good to great? - GatorSports.com

Lot's of people on this board have teams that could take that same leap.... and if there were any Clemson fans on here then there would be fans of a team already there according to what happened last season and returning players.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators definitely on the rise at the moment. They have an established QB returning in Trask, that is a big plus for them. They still probably don't have the same talent level/depth as UGA because Smart has been recruiting at a high level since he arrived, but Dan Mullen is catching up fast. Gators are currently a top 5 class for 2021. No reason for UF not to have great recruiting, Fla is one of the top 3 states for talent. Now they do have FSU and Miami to compete with, but still they should always have a lot of talent on their roster, only need the right coach to make it all work. Is Dan Mullen that guy? Could be!

On another note, the Tenn Vols are also having a banner year on the recruiting trail. Currently sitting at #2 in the 247 rankings with 2 5 star players having given their verbals and a couple of recent high 4 star players committed in the last 2 weeks. Could the old days of Fla/Tenn being top 10 programs annually be on the horizon?

3. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the Gators lost one of their top OL recruits from the most recent class (2020) signed with UF in Dec, enrolled at UF in January, left UF for Miami this week via transfer. That was a short stay. What happened???

• Like Like x 1
  4. Motorcity Gator

Don't know what happened with the transfer except that with the Covid closings he never had the chance to really experience Florida like normal early entrant freshmen and so I can see a bit of disillusionment would be easy to understand. Plus the kid is from Miami which in these Covid times I'm sure made a difference.
    RE; Tenn recruiting I saw that too and it's a little bit ominous for a Gator fan except that their 6 game winning streak against a very mediocre line-up at the end of last year doesn't make them a contender in the SEC East.
    I do think they should give Florida a pretty good tussle in Knoxville this year however.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  5. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

cool....:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Vols added another top 100 player in QB Kaden Salter from Cedar Hill TX. #4 dual threat Qb

Something is building in Knoxville.

7. Motorcity Gator

I used to wish that Georgia could be more competitive because the rivalry was waning...
    Not falling for that trap again with the Vols..... lol