Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Okay, I've hijacked too many threads. I do apologize. The information was tangentially related, but this location is likely a better place.

As stated, there is no need for panic. A large majority of cases will resolve as nothing but a memory. However, the more we can "flatten the peak" and reduce the transmissivity, the better off everyone in the at-risk categories will be.

This report is extremely long, but is very sound statistically. In alignment with one of the points I've been trying to make, once you take into account the incubation period and the delay for onset of symptoms, the actual number of cases already in our areas is at least 10x more than the reported CONFIRMED cases.

Please read and protect yourselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

per today's press conference announcing Alabama's first case, they've only been testing for a week. Yesterday, they had admitted they've only run 50 tests. It appears that it requires this long process in which your Dr has to request it, then it goes to the CDC for approval and only if approved, you can be tested. They are suppose to be streamlining the system somehow today. We'll see. This is what happens in a state in which infrastructure is just a laughable subject.

3. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I thought those limitations were supposed to have been removed yesterday, unless you are talking about state limitations?

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

kes,

When dealing with Bama, we have the longest State Constitution and that's amazing given that we have no laws or infrastructure :) I think they removed it today or yesterday though. We still are dragging way behind which is a shame because we have UAB in this state.

Bob,
    That's some funny stuff there. If I was able to drink, that's how I'd stock up for the pending lock down. Since I can't, I guess I'll just load up on the Wisconsin cheese instead. :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Texas Gov, Greg Abbott, has said that

One of things I keep reading is that if you have symptoms, don't go to the ER, stay home drink lots of fluids, take fever reducing medications, etc. Only go to ER/Hosp if you develop breathing difficulties. There is no treatment that medicine has right now, and they are saying it's not necessary to get the test as being tested positive for the Covid-19 doesn't change what you should do..isolate and manage the symptoms only seek care if they progress to breathing issues as they have no treatment for the "flu like" symptoms.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Not surprising, but Cardinal DiNardo of the Diocese of Galveston-Houston has given a dispensation for mass attendance till further notice. He's encourages each parish to continue it's regular mass schedule for those who wish to attend. A number of parishes are will be streaming their Sunday services. I saw where Joel Osteen has cancelled all of his services.

This is going to cause financial problems for churches of all faiths. While certainly a portion of their faithful give online and have a monthly deduction rather than give at the service. But the basket is still passed and my observation is that low church attendance is going to result in significant reduction in giving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The Bishop of my diocese (Lafayette, IN) also has given a dispensation for Mass attendance. I went to 5:00 Mass yesterday, and "normal" attendance was way down. Other measures: No wine at Communion (has been in effect for a few weeks); receive the Communion wafer by hand only, not directly by mouth (if necessary to receive orally, go to the end of the line) ; no "Peace" greeting, although everyone in my area turned an nodded greetings to those around them; collection baskets only at the entrance/exit doors, no passing the baskets; no bringing the wine and water up the aisle to the altar at the Offertory.
    I'm guessing that these measures have or will become the norm, at least for Catholic churches.

Funny thing. Like some of us here, I'm considered age-wise to be in the "high risk" category. I'm fortunate - blessed - to be in good health with no underlying medical issues. I don't feel vulnerable, yet I don't want to risk becoming a carrier and not know it and possibly infecting others. This is what's keeping me hunkered down........and bored.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bobdawolverweasel

Is there a video that provides Coach O’s PSA with English subtitles?

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who is the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious diseases made the rounds of the Sunday talk shows and he thinks it would be a good thing if we just shut the country down, although he later backed off that. Travel restriction with in the country are also on the table. While certainly we shutdown airports for 3 days after 9/11, shutdown for 2weeks or longer would be much more difficult, and how would you monitor travel by car between states.

Personally I imagine my dental practice is going to incur a severe downturn in patient visits as one of the more common recommendations is not to go to your Dr. unless you have to go. Plus dentists and our clinical staff are dealing with an aerosol from our patients, that beyond hazmat suits we can't entirely avoid with masks/gloves/protective eyewear. I expect that when it's all said and done you will find dentists and their clinical staffs disproportionately effected. Plus I can see us running out of protective gear as Hospitals suck it up to a high degree.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bobdawolverweasel

Suspect other states will be doing this soon but if they try to close bars in Wisconsin, the native Cheeseheads will riot

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

as long as the beer stores are open... we have a chance.
    :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Dark times folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Our esteemed far-left governor, Gavin "Gruesome" Newsome has ORDERED all people over the age of 65 to stay indoors until further notice. Since I'm 70, I assume this means that I don't have to take out the trash...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

got an e mail from my ortho man today..shutting down his practice for 2-3 weeks effective NOW! jiffer

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scott88

I'm starting to wonder how long I'm going to be off work due to this bug.
    I'm not even considering Lockheed shutting down because we have 25000 people in close proximity.
    I'm more worried about how long it will take to get the supply chain back to normal? One thing is for sure: we won't be making the goal of 140 jets delivered this year. :oops:

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Scott88

JO'Co.... tell him to pound sand.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1