Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, reference #4, this happened to Alabama a couple of years ago and we were told to quit whining....just saying

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

yeah I know, back before we were assoc with the ACC and made our own schedule up, fans still had issues with who we scheduled and how the schedule was laid out. But it happens all the time in pro sports, you look at the schedule and wonder who made this crap up.

In the end, all those teams that had a bye week before the ND game...they lost to ND. Mich had a tough road game to Penn State that they lost the week before they ripped the Irish a new one. Both UGA and ND had games the previous week.

But fans find conspiracy everywhere, it's our job!

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that behind closed doors, the matter is NOT closed. Don't underestimate Brey's credibility, i.e., if he issues a criticism, it must have merit. No coach has more class than he does.

Re: Complaints about ACC football bye weeks. White noise. Every single team on our schedule could have a bye week and it wouldn't bother me. Just my opinion.

4. Terry O'Keefe

CAL has been added to the ND schedule in 2022. Sept 17th 2022. Last time we played was 1967, we are 4-0 all time vs the Golden Bears. We played them in 1965 in Berkley, Sid's last football season as a student. Did you make the trip to the Coast Sid?

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Nope. Couldn't afford it. Made a couple of trips to W. Lafayette and a Thanksgiving train trip to NYC sophomore year (1963) when we played Syracuse in Yankee Stadium. That was about it. When my son was in school I went to 3 bowl games. I've been fortunate over the years because of living in Indiana to attend many ND home games, and over half a century after graduation, I'm going to Ireland for the second time to see the ND-Navy game. That's the story of my travels. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Cal got tired of beating SEC teams and added the Irish eh? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

The CAL game is a "buy" game, there is no return match in Berkley. I read they got a bit more than the MAC teams typically get though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

If Cal keeps their current staff, it should be an interesting game.

9. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Michael Mayer is now 5*

• Like Like x 2
  10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

And he is very happy about it ! [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I keep reading about Kelly being out on the trail with the staff and recruiting. So maybe he's actually going to change his approach. He's been called a lukewarm recruiter up till now, not very interested, delegated it to the staff, but not involved to the same level as Dabo, Saban, Urban, etc..guys who have been extremely successful. I saw he was at Will Shipley's school yesterday, then down to Atlanta to visit Jayden Thomas school (Pace Academy). He's a WR.

No news on the CB assistant slot or on what they are doing with the opening on the offensive side. Long coached the TE's, Rees will coach the QB's. So they need a TE coach. From what you read about OL recruiting I doubt if Jeff Quinn will be looking for another job, he's out there putting out his usual great effort in recruiting. For whatever people feel about his OL coaching, his recruiting is really good and he makes it a priority. I saw one poster say that they hoped they would get somebody to coach the TE's and OT and have Quinn coach the rest of the OL. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me truthfully. They said though that Holtz did it at one point. I don't really remember it though.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

A bit of a good weekend for Irish Sports. Both the Men and Women got a basketball win. The Ladies are still in a pickle with short roster that is very young and inexperienced. They've recruited a Volleyball player to give them another body. The Men however are showing some signs of life, they had a good win over an admittedly bad Ga.Tech team, but young players are showing signs of development and seniors (Gibbs and Pfleugger) showing signs of being Seniors!

Hockey got a road win and a tie with Big 10 leader Penn State. They are still in a position where they are going to have to win the Big 10 tournament to get into the Frozen Four tourney.