Notre Dame Bowl/Recruiting.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Anthony Weaver who played for Bob Davie at ND from 1998-2001, was named the Texans DCoord today.

Irish Women got a much needed win yesterday vs Miami. They are still going to struggle to get to .500 and it would take winning the ACC Tournament to get a NCAA bid. They are down to 6 scholarship players now, losing one of their top freshmen in Anya Peoples to a shoulder injury recently.

Irish Men got a good road win at Ga.Tech. ACC is a bit down this year so the men have a shot at slipping into the NCAA tourney, a slim one though.

Irish Hockey continues to struggle, they lost the 1st game at Ohio State and then skated to a tie in the 2nd game. Other than winning the Big 10 tourney they are not likely to make the Frozen Four tourney this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Quentin Nelson has given endorsement to Tommy Rees. Anybody feel like arguing with him??? Didn’t think so

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

This used to be the hottest time of the year with regards to recruiting, a lot of the top players would have held out till late January, early February to maximize their announcement of who they will sign their LOI with but now I don't think ND is even talking to anybody about the 2020 class and haven't for the most part since the Dec Signing date, it's all about 2021 and 2022.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I know you guys love you some recruiting gurus, but I just wanted to point to 2 things I read yesterday that showcased why I think they are all palm reading dipshits. ND landed a consensus 5 star RB in this past class who, once signed with ND, somehow lost a star and plummeted in the ratings. Now, personally, I don't give a **** what these people say but I wanted to bring attention to this silly behavior. Also, I know guys have been happy about the exodus of talent at LSU but they land a lot of 2 and 3 star guys in-state from Louisiana who turn out to be awfully good. Their WR Jefferson this year was a 2 star coming out of HS. The fact continues to remain that if these guys were really that good at their 'jobs' they'd be working for a school. That's where the money and credibility is at, not hocking 'promotion packages' to teens and their parents chasing a dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ha! No ****!

• Like Like x 1
  7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Notre Dame recruit Landen Bartleson arrested for burglary. Don't know the details.

8. IrishCorey

well thank God we recruit these guys a year in advance to make sure they are a 'right fit'...... ugh

9. Terry O'Keefe

Details are available, and it's clear Prison is in his near future. He won't have to worry about going to class, whether or not he is being cheated out of his rights to profits on his name/image by the NCAA.

What an idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IrishCorey

The good news is that our roster numbers crunch situation just got a tad easier.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Can you red shirt with stripes?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. IrishCorey

I think I read somewhere that ND cut ties with the kid. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the situation, so I don't really know if that's the right call. I got tired of reading the comments of the various ND groups on Facebook. I have a genuine dislike for half of our fan base.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Kelly officially announced he is no longer with the program.

BTW did any of you watch Mike Brey's. post game press conference after the FSU loss? He basically called out the refs saying they were making ND pay for not being a full conference member in football. I didn't see the game but those who did said that the refs were awful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

My money’s on Brey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IrishCorey

Yeah this deal with the ACC is turning out to be a bit of a **** sandwich. I just saw that once again, our ACC slate will be filled with teams who all have a bye week before they play ND. Considering the fact that we don't seem to be getting any respect by beating these guys most all of the time, I am having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Why did you make this deal anyway? Didn't you want to play basketball and you had to throw in some football games to sweeten the deal? Y'all play Clemson next season. Beat them and you'll get some respect.

17. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

There in lies the problem, KP. I saw an early projection for the TOP 25 for next season where ND was expected to finish 17th with a record of 10-2. The pollsters simply said that they should win all their games except Wisconsin and Clemson. That is Kelly's legacy to date. Until he corrects that major deficiency respect will be fleeting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

The deal was well thought out and researched. It is a good deal for ND, regardless of opinions to the contrary based on a narrow range of thought.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I understand. Part of the problem is that for the last couple of years, Clemson has been the only highly ranked team in the conference. FSU, Miami, and Va. Tech have all been down, so it is difficult to get any SOS from any of them and ND doesn't play for the conference championship so no bounce there either. However, you play Clemson next season so win that one and there is instant respect.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Well we would have never joined the ACC if the Big East hadn't imploded. It was a good place for Irish non-football sports and we didn't have to play any Big East teams in football if we didn't want to play them. We were totally independent in football.

With the implosion of the Big East, we were faced with where do we go with our non-football sports and also at the time conferences were locking up all the bowl game slots, and since the Big East was gone as a football conference we lost the access we had to the Big East football slots as well. So we really needed a spot to put our sports for full time conference play as being an independent in them just doesn't work any more from a scheduling stand point and we needed to get in on available bowl slots.

I don't believe either Big 10 or the SEC would have been interested in allowing us to join for all sports except football. I don't think either would have been interested in partial membership for football. The ACC obviously was OK with that, and I believe the B12 would have also allowed us in with partial membership for football. Truthfully Pac12 geographically was just a non-starter. Plus I don't believe ND fans in general would have been interested in joining either the Big 10 or the SEC had they offered the same terms as the ACC.

I know a lot of people feel like Corey, but a lot (me) also don't really see any options.
    #1 our deal with the ACC runs through 2037

#2 our grant of rights would cost a lot of money to get back as part of an exit. I believe the ACC put in a poison pill for all ACC teams after Maryland left for the Big 10, I think I have read any team leaving the ACC will owe 50 Million dollars. So it can be done, teams leave conferences, BC,Miami, Syracuse all left the Big East, Maryland left the ACC, UConn just recently left the AAC. But it'll be very expensive.

#3 So lets say we do leave the ACC, pay the exit fee. What happens to the other sports, what conference do you put them into? Most say we could join the Big East which has no football so they don't care about ND football. OK as a basketball conference it's a good one, the rest of Big East sports are not at the same level as the ACC. But the big thing is that we would no longer be able to be a part of any P5 conference deal with the bowls. We would have to go out an negotiate with a bunch of bowls to get slots and if you were unhappy with the Camping World bowl, get ready to be even unhappier with our bowl options unless we make the CFP.

#4 The whole all the ACC teams getting a bye before the ND game is irritating and Jack Swarbrick needs to step up here and do something. Personally I think it's the ACC sending a message, we're not going to give you any scheduling breaks till you join in football full time.

#5 Most were happy Brey spoke up, even though ND was fined 20K for that and Brey was censured by the ACC. But truthfully, all across college basketball teams are screwed by officials every night. Some twitter guy put up Brey's post game and the comments following it were interesting. Most if not all of the ACC fans including the FSU fans who commented said that watching the game that the Irish were hosed by the officials at the end of the game. But they also said that they have multiple games where their teams were also hosed by the officials. They claim ACC officials in basketball are amongst the worst groups out there.