MLB puts the Hammer down on the Astros.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 13, 2020.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Well, like Alabama, people get killed as the result of Dodgers games. I know that isn't particularly popular to discuss on this board but it's the truth. You don't need to worry about Larry King going rogue, you need to worry about Chuey from El Monte taking justice into his own hands.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm receiving counseling from Joel on how to be a good fan of a team that cheats. :D:D:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Which one?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I'm for vacating the titles and leaving them empty. You can't hand it to the Dodgers without the Yankees pitching a fuss, and perhaps rightfully so. I'm embarrassed that this crap went on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

This is a major crossroads for MLB. Once the integrity is gone the game dies a slow death. The next move is critical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm not a big MLB fan so maybe I don't get it, but I thought stealing signs was one of those unwritten rules of baseball. Like it's ok to throw at batters, it's ok to take out the 2nd baseman to break up a double play, it's not ok to bunt to breakup a no hitter, you can't hit to the open field when a team has a shift in you, and the pitcher can't catch a pop-up? I thought it was a given that the other team was trying to steal your signs, otherwise why have such elaborate codes?

7. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

kp, I'm not the expert on this stuff that you other guys are...but my take is that yes, sign stealing has always been a part of the game...but there is a difference between sign stealing and having an elaborate technological system to do so that clearly breaks the rules. When baseball set up replay rooms for teams to look at calls and quickly be able to challenge them, the commissioner told them exactly what and how they could be used and how they could NOT be used...and also informed them that the buck would stop with the managers and GM's and it was THEIR job to see that the rules were followed. (Maybe I don't have all of that right...but that is my limited understanding.) That is a lot different from studying the third base coach to try and figure out his signs (and third base coaches giving fake signs once they knew their signs had been busted). Mike Clevenger (Indians pitcher) has been very vocal about how these guys are threatening other players careers and livelihoods with their actions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1