MLB puts the Hammer down on the Astros.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Thanks for the interesting thoughts Corey.

I imagine you miss coaching.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Its a safe bet that Logan Morrison will not be working for the Dodgers or Yankees at any time in the foreseeable future. If he has proof, show it. If not, retract it. We banned Rose for betting on games. Fair enough... there were signs in every locker room warning against it. To my knowledge there was no evidence that he ever manipulated a game to suit his wagers but the mere thought of it was enough. In this case there was a carefully conceived high tech system used to change the outcome of games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So what's going to happen with the Mets and Carlos Beltran? Manfred has said he's not going after the players, and Beltran was a player. But he was also central in colluding with Cora to do the sign stealing.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Next, basking in their own silent bubble, the New York Mets have some hard questions to answer. Carlos Beltran has yet to manage his first game in Queens, and he's already caught up in the big lie: He told the New York media that he had nothing to do with stealing signs—at least, not digitally by incorporating Houston's now infamous center field camera. MLB's investigation says otherwise: The report specifically names Beltran as chief among a group of players brainstorming the video camera/computer/trash-can-banging plot roughly two months into the 2017 season.

Red Sox Left Reeling as Alex Cora Goes Down as One of MLB's Greatest Cheaters

6. George Krebs

I know its hard to feel sorry for the Dodgers and Yankees but these two teams have really been hurt by this ********. Cora should never be hired in MLB again. The Mets should fire Beltran immediately but they are the same team that was almost put under by Bernie Madoff so don't expect any enlightened action by the Wilpons. When the cheating of the Patriots began to come to light they were never revered quite the same as before. What happened in Houston and Boston was 100x worse than the sophomoric nonsense the Pats engaged in.
    Mad Dog Russo was a little agitated this morning.

7. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Bill,

A great deal.

All,
    Every now and then, things get out of hand in baseball and we just have to bite the bullet, take it in the shorts and move forward. This is one of those moments. If I'm the Commish, I'm only worried about not doing enough. He cannot err on the side of going to light right now.

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Baseball will survive this scandal as it's survived all those of the past. The next year or so will be painful, but this too shall pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember, is Cora one of those whose principles wouldn't let him accept an invitation to the White House?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Yes he did decline to go to the White House over the controversy of relief effort in Puerto Rico after the Hurricane.

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

It's getting ugly in LA. The downtown crowd is demanding that the two stolen World Series be awarded to the Dodgers. If the schedulers are smart they'll keep Houston and Boston out of LA for a few years until this blows over. They won't be safe here...

• Like Like x 2
  13. George Krebs

Hold on there, Baba Louie. Lets not forget that the Yankees suffered a similar fate in each of those years as well. When they suggested that something was going on at the time they were mocked by the Astros, particularly by Hinch and Verlander. Cora is a classless punk who should be managing in some third world shithole.

14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Tribe affected also...allegedly the Astros quit stealing signs during the 2018 playoffs but the Indians knew or suspected it had been going on and it got in their heads.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Locals are only concerned with the Dodgers. We're pretty insular here, but you're right, If we were fans of the Yankees or A's we would be just as furious. This episode won't fade away anytime soon.

16. IrishCorey

Something to consider.. if you were a guy who placed a large bet on the Dodgers (or Yankees) in those years, you'd have to be mighty furious right now knowing that your losses were not legitimate. Baseball has a long history of partial, but extreme justices. Vacating the titles would be good enough for me, and remember, I'm a Sox fan. I find the Red Sox loving good bye to Cora to be very unsettling. I find it crazy that those two organizations spent so much on player salary just to cheat their way to a title.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Jack McDowell says LaRussa had a great sign stealing system back in the late 80's with the White Sox

• Like Like x 1
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

What's the current record for hit batters in a season? I'll be in Vegas next month. Just curious.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. IrishCorey

I was thinking the same thing, AJ. I see the Dodgers fans are planning on invading the Angel Stadium crowd just for the opportunity to boo the Astros. Dodgers fans are nothing to mess with, and I fear that situation would get ugly. I'm sure the Angels would just be happy for the attendance.

20. George Krebs

No doubt. The thought of Larry King and Mary Hart going rogue is chilling indeed.

• Funny Funny x 1