Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A lot of momentum is building online and even with some of the ND gurus/websites for Kelly to hire former Miss State coach, Joe Moorhead to replace the fired Chip Long. Most look back at the offenses that he had at Penn State as why they want him, not what he did or didn't do at Miss State. I don't know why but I'm a little leary of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Moorehead strikes me as a John Chavis kind of coordinator.
    If you give him good talent that matches his system, he'll give you a great offense. If it isn't great talent, or not a match... you're gonna have problems cuz he doesn't adapt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

That's my worry. At ND he'll have some good talent, but still you want a guy who looks at what he has and figures out how to maximize what their skills are not pound round pegs into square holes. At Penn State he did have Saquon Barkley, that'll make most OCoord look pretty darn good. We don't have Barkley at ND.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in the Miss State job, they are taking applications. I'm pretty sure the GM of the on-campus Chik-fil-A turned them down today... Grantham turned them down yesterday. You'd think that someone would be jumping at the chance to be in the SEC but I guess not. For what it's worth, I think the guy at UAB is a steal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Miss St. Has always been a stepping stone job. I'm surprised someone hasn't taken up the offer of a $50M buyout clause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

That coach who took the Giants job was going to take the Miss State job if he didn't get the NY job. He's a Miss State grad.

I wonder who will get the Baylor job. It's a lot different than after Art Briles burned it to the ground. It's still not a great job, recruiting is always going to be tough with Texas and Texas A&M competing for the top players in Texas and lots of competition from TCU, TECH, Houston, etc. But Briles and Rhule proved that you can win there and have some really good seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Tight lips around the ND OCoord situation, no leaks. Nobody knows anything, no secret interviews, nothing. Just idle speculation on Moorhead, and now some are speculating on Todd Monken who has a long resume, most recently the Browns OCoord. But he started at Grand Valley State when Brian Kelly was the DCoord and he did a year as a Grad Asst at ND in 1991-92 under Lou Holtz.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Don what is the talk around Ohio State for the open DCoord position?

9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Kerry Combs if he is willing to leave the Texans? No other names I have seen anywhere in print!

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Holey cow. I saw Rhule got $60M for 7 years??? Based on what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Terry O'Keefe

From an article on the 'Net. Sounds like he would be a great hire for Day and he's familiar with Ohio State having coached there for 5 years with Urban.

Coombs, who has 35 years of coaching experience under his belt, is a familiar face to Columbus, having been Ohio State’s cornerbacks coach from 2012 to 2017 before joining the Titans’ staff in 2018.

During his time at Ohio State, he helped develop multiple cornerbacks who ended up being drafted in the NFL including Denzel Ward, Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Eli Apple, and Bradley Roby, all of whom were selected in the first round.

In fact, every Ohio State cornerback that started under Coombs has ended up in the NFL.

12. IrishCorey

Starkville is full of whispers that they are going after Mike Leach. I hope he stays his crazy ass in the Pac12, but the thought of him in the SEC is pretty hilarious. I wonder how many fines he'd pick up per week?

13. Terry O'Keefe

I also saw where Miss State is going to interview Skip Holtz. I just don't think Mike Leach is the right fit for any SEC job. B12 yes, Pac 12 yes, even ACC, but SEC nope.

Brady Hoke is back as a HC. He's been at San Diego State as a DL coach this year and Rocky Long is retiring and they have decided to give Brady a second shot a being the Aztec HC.

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The only way that Leach would make it at Miss. St. is to win immediately. If he doesn't the supporters will criticise and he would mouth off and it would escalate until he would be gone. If he beats LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss right away. They would put up with anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IrishCorey

His offense will work in the SEC, it did when he was at Kentucky. It's the personality that I don't think will fit.

16. Scott88

Corey, the problem I see with Leach's offense in the SEC (having seen a less cogent version of it with my previous coach) is you better have talent stacked 2 or 3 deep on your defense, cuz they are going to be on the field for a minimum of 45 minutes each game.
    You may score 35-40, but you'll give up 40-45...

• Like Like x 1
  17. IrishCorey

Well it's a done deal. One of college football's best rivalries, the Egg Bowl, will be Joey Freshwater vs The Pirate next year.

Scott,
    One of the alleged strengths of SEC programs is the ability to stock pile defensive talent. I agree with you that he's going to need it. His offense torched the SEC once before, and I'm pretty sure they'll do it again. Either way, it'll be entertaining. Saban has to feel like he's been locked away in an asylum. Remember when the Gus Bus was the nuttiest character that he had to deal with?? hahahahaha

18. Terry O'Keefe

I can't imagine this working out for Miss State, but it'll be fun while it lasts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scott88

He has to find a ball-chuckin' QB before we have much to worry about. :p
    He sure left the Cougs in a lurch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder if he was tired of living up in the Palouse. Beautiful country but a long way from Key West!