Week 10 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Is it possible we are almost done with the regular season. Only a month left, most teams only have 4 regular season games left to play. Time is flying!

Thursday.
    West Virginia at Baylor ...this is a really big game because Baylor is the only undefeated team left in the B12 and even though they have had a great season so far, they have not played a tough schedule for the most part. They still have OU and Texas to play. But if miracles happen they could end up in the CFP. Don't bet the farm on it though.

Friday
    Navy at UConn ...not a CFP game, UConn is maybe one of the 2 or 3 worst teams in college right now. Navy is on the rise and a contender in the AAC. So that makes it and important AAC game for sure.

Saturday

1. LSU ...bye It is interesting that both LSU and Alabama have byes this week. The next game for both is against one another.

2. Alabama ..bye

3. Ohio State ...bye

4. Clemson vs Wofford ...yikes a FCS opponent at this point in the season. I am really opposed to these FCS games. They need to ban them, I don't care how much it does for those teams programs to get a big check for getting beat down. They need to get rid of them. Ban them, make them not count on the record.

5. Penn State at Minn ...2 unbeaten Big 10 teams going at it. Minn has not played a tough schedule to this point. It gets tougher from here on out. PJ Fleck getting a lot of kudos, deservedly so, but Penn State has been pretty impressive this year. One thing for certain 1 less unbeaten team.

6. Florida vs Georgia ....The biggest game of the weekend. The loser is out of consideration for the CFP, the winner has the leg up for the SECEast and the SEC Championship game that if they won puts them in the CFP. Georgia has looked vulnerable this season. Can the Gators defense do what So.Carolina did to Georgia? They have to in order to win.

7. Oregon at USC ...huge game for both squads. USC has not been a great road team this year but they have played well at home. They are fighting Utah for the Pac12 South and Oregon is the leader in the Pac12 North. If they can keep winning they are in the hunt for that 1 loss slot in the CFP. USC great WR's and a terrific Freshman QB, Oregon a high NFL draft projection at QB. Should be a very good game.

8. Georgia vs Florida ..biggest question for the Dawgs is the offense.

9. Utah at Washington. Utes are battling USC for the Pac12 South. Huskies are just fighting to have a good season. They are 2-3 in Pac 12 play. Utes must have this win. Don't really know what to expect.

10. Oklahoma vs Iowa State . After the upset to KState the OU season is a little on the brink. I think they are still solid favorites to win the B12 championship, but that's not their goal, they want to be in the CFP. They can not lose again. This is a solid Iowa State team. The Sooners are big favorites, but they better show up ready to play.

Others

Neb at Purdue ...only a big game to the fans of those teams. Nebraska has lost 2 in a row and that loss to IU was painful for them. I read that there was turmoil on the Neb sideline in the IU loss, and Frost held a team meeting with just him and the players to clear the air. They are pretty much out of the race for the Big10 West but they sit at 4-4 and you know this game is huge to Frost as he does not want another sub .500 season.
    After things got 'heated' during Indiana loss, Scott Frost meets with players to clear the air

Va.Tech at Notre Dame ...Hokies had a rough start losing to both BC and getting hammered by Miami, but since have righted the ship a bit and have won 3 games in a row. Irish of course were embarrassed at Michigan, so this is a gut check game for them. Being at home will help, and not playing in a monsoon will as well. It'll be chilly of course but both teams should not be bothered by that.

Kansas State at Kansas ...a rivalry game. KU got some notice for taking Texas to the limit, and then last week beat Texas Tech. KState of course riding high after the huge upset of OU. KState probably not much chance of making it to the B12 title game but they could secure a bowl with their 6th win here and maybe end up winning some big games down the stretch, the come to Austin in 2weeks.

SMU at Memphis ..this is a big game in the AAC again, battle for the Div title. SMU is undefeated of course, both Navy and Memphis are nipping at their heels with 1 loss each. SMU wins here goes a long way towards that AAC championship. All of the contenders in the AAC will play each other going down the stretch. Should be an interesting game, Memphis is a good football team. SMU has Texas reject Shane Bouchelle at QB who is having a great season. Probably doesn't miss Austin at all.

Miami at FSU ...once a primetime game. Now just a game between 2 .500 teams struggling through the season hoping to get that 6th win and a bowl.

Ole Miss at Auburn. Ole Miss a team going nowhere, Auburn a team with a big part in the CFP given that they have UGA in 2 weeks, and Alabama to finish the season. They can't be looking ahead to UGA.

UAB at Tenn ...this game only mentioned because Tenn is showing a little life with their win over So.Carolina They have a shot at 6 wins and a bowl, that would be huge for the Vols after the start they got to the season.

Colorado at UCLA ...UCLA another team who was woeful to start the season but is starting to show some life, won 2 games in a row. I don't know if they can get to 6 wins, they have Utah, USC and CAL left hard to see 2 wins in that bunch. Colorado is not good, on a 4 game losing streak. Win here would mean a lot to Chip Kelly and the Bruins.

Boise State at San Jose State. Boise State and San Diego State the 2 best Mtn West teams. Neither has even a prayer of the CFP, but they do have shots at the New Years Six, that right now seems to be a AAC team. But if Boise could win out, and they should handily beat San Jose State they could sneak in the New Years Six if the AAC teams beat up each other.

Heisman Race. Right now it's Joe Burrow, if he has a big game vs Alabama and wins it's probably him. Tua's injury has hurt his chances and the loss by Jalen to KState even though he personally played well has dropped him a little bit. Lots of big games for all those guys coming up, including Justin Fields who is just on the outside right now but some bad games by the top 3 and he could get into the mix for real. Trevor Lawrence? Anybody seen anything about him lately? Is he still a generational QB?

• Like Like x 1
  2. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I’m feeling like Charlie Brown for Halloween, I gotta rock...

3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

The passion for the "N" on your helmet will return. That's what that meeting was about. What you cant see is what we see here. The walkon program is growing again, and coach frost wont take no for an answer. Coach knows what's expected. I'll be patient while he gets the kids in the next few years that get it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

speaking of... your local boy here, Logan Smothers, is having a fine season..

• Like Like x 1
  5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

That's great news!...the one thing we have depth in at NU is QB. With Martinez, Vedral, and Mccaffery, we're hanging in there!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Auburn's backup QB, Joey Gatewood, has entered the Portal and left the team. He was the #3 ranked dual threat QB in the 2018 class. Also LSU DE Justin Thomas has quit the team and with drawn from school, for personal reasons. Neither of these guys were starters, which is probably why they left.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I do not think I would want to be a college football coach in this day and age! All of these youngsters think they should be able to play in their freshman year!:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Well Baylor goes to 8-0 with a close win at home vs WVa. They blocked a FG attempt by West Virgina with 3 minutes to go to seal the win.

App State went down last night and another undefeated team is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Big announcement from Alabama this week. They will have a home/home series with FSU in 2025 and 2026. I wonder who the coaches will be at that time. Nick Saban will be 73, he looks fit and like he could coach as long as he wants. Bowden and JoePa both coached into their late 70's and early 80's. Whether they should have been coaching at that point is another story. But I could see Saban staying till then and I could see him retiring when he wins another Nat'l Title, if he does win another one.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah with Saban you never know. He could coach for another 10 years or he could go next year. I think he stays for another 3 years but he's got nothing to prove.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Since you guys have had to deal with the angst of the ND fans on this board. I saw this advice from Faux Pellini on this ....

Dear Faux Pelini,

Is it possible that coaches feel as bad as I do after an especially difficult loss?

Ed M.

Well Ed,

No, it is not possible, because college football fans are deeply demented. Each of us invests so much emotional capital in our team that it impacts our general mood and mental health. Difficult losses destroy our weekends and make us wonder why we do this in the first place.

Coaches hate losing too, but for very different reasons. Coaches are paid to win football games — it is literally their job. And because it’s their job, winning gets them more of the things they crave: money, opportunities, control, attention, respect. A coach is paid to care about his school, and he will continue caring right up until another school starts writing him checks, at which point he will care about that new school instead.

When you do something for love and not money, the rewards and pain are emotionally enduring. For a coach, a loss is bad because of what it means. For a fan a loss is hard because of what it is.

On the bright side, fans have job security. You can’t get fired from being a fan (unless you’re a young woman aggressively trying to distract a pitcher during the World Series). (Don’t Google that at work.)

Side note: All coaches are somewhat crazy, but guys who coach at their alma maters are particularly insane. Each of their games brings both emotional and professional consequences. If you want to see a man look simultaneously proud and terrified, watch Scott Frost or Jim Harbaugh run onto the field before a game.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree with you on this. Coach Frost was the number one choice of a number of schools including my Gators.

What he did with UCF was unbelievable but the Big 10 is a whole different level.

However I think he keeps the big N improving.

And I am very happy with the coach the Gators ended up getting.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Boston College is sure beating up on Syracuse, 34 points in the second quarter alone.

14. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Wow that Nebraska game was frustrating. Nebraska has a way to go but like I said earlier I think you have the coach to get it done.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Goodbye Chinander.

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

17. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

AJ...was a hard fought game. Teams appeared pretty equal. We made a lot of mistakes but were able to overcome them. Best of luck the rest of the way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Of course I've not watched a lot of the other games focusing on the Irish.

I see that Michigan went to Maryland and had another good offensive game, maybe they've finally found something and we'll see the UM team many thought they would see this year.

The Utes went to Seattle and got the win they had to have to keep their spot in the race for the Pac12 South and maybe the Pac12 Championship.

Kansas State got a big win over KU, they come to Austin next week. They are well coached and a program on the rise I believe.

B.C. just hammered Syracuse. I didn't think they had enough offense to put up as many points as they did.

Oregon State just ran all over Arizona...that was a shock.

I see that IU won again. Northwestern really has a terrible offense this year.

Watching the Oregon/USC game now....it's pretty darn good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Hoosiers have a nice team. They really have a punishing running game with Scott and the team plays with a nasty edge. If their starting QB could stay healthy, they will be a handful when M plays them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Drew Brees was in W.Lafayette for the game and gave an inspiring pregame speech to the Boilermakers.

Ducks are starting pulling away from the Trojans and well on their way to a win. Slovis threw another pick the game is getting out of control for USC.

I see that UCLA is up on Colorado. Maybe Kelly has finally got them turned.

• Like Like x 1