Notre Dame vs Michigan

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well it's here again. Michigan! There is still tremendous animosity amongst Irish fans over things that go back 100 years in this rivalry. Fielding Yost and the blackballing of the Irish from the Western Conference because of our Catholic affiliation, is still talked about when the Wolverines show up on the schedule. There is a book called Natural Enemies; The Notre Dame Michigan Feud that goes into all of this side of the rivalry.

Suffice it to say that all of that aside, this is a huge game for both teams. While USC is our historic rival and Ohio State is Michigans historic rival, this game for these teams is the biggest game of the year so far. For the Irish a win here means we have a very good shot at an 11-1 season, for Michigan it's getting a win over a ranked team for Harbaugh and also avoiding a 2 game losing streak that probably kills their season as far as a big bowl game. This game of course doesn't do anything to their Big 10 season. The Irish have not beaten Michigan in Ann Arbor since the 2005 game in Charlie Weis 1st year, when everybody still thought he was going to be a great ND coach. Lead us out of the wilderness.

Michigan still is very dangerous on defense. Don Brown is one of the better DCoord in college football. He has talent. It's the Michigan offense that has been the problem all season long.

For the Irish we also have had a good defense, one that has been improving. The Irish like Michigan have had issues on offense. Our QB has been solid but seems limited. Our OL is improving and hopefully that continues, we ran the ball well of late. But we just haven't been dangerous on offense.

The Irish are underdogs in this game, which surprised me more than a little. But I actually like being the underdog here, might give the team just a little more motivation.

I do expect a low scoring game, hopefully an Irish win of course. The three games in most recent memory that we lost in AA are what really stand out in my memory. In those games we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Probably the 2011 game caused me to have a mental health issue the most. 2009 we lost with 16 seconds to go, 2010 we lost with 27 seconds to go, 2011 we lost with 2 seconds to go in that game the famous prevent defense against Denard Robinson who was not known for his passing skill, failed to prevent them from going essentially the length of the field to win with less than 2 seconds. I needed a hotline of some sort after that loss.

Oh yeah it'll be Big 10 refs protecting the conference this weekend!

2009: Michigan 38, Notre Dame 34[edit]
    With Michigan trailing 34–31 with 16 seconds left, Wolverines quarterback Tate Forcier threw a touchdown pass with 11 seconds left on the clock to wideout Greg Mathews to seal a 38–34 comeback win for Michigan. This game set a record for the most total points in the history of the rivalry.[51]

2010: Michigan 28, Notre Dame 24[edit]
    Notre Dame came back from a 21–7 halftime deficit to take a 24–21 lead, but Michigan's Denard Robinson scored a 2-yard touchdown with 27 seconds left to give Michigan a 28–24 win. Robinson, a sophomore in his second career start, ran for 258 yards and two touchdowns while throwing for 244 yards with another touchdown.[52]

2011: Michigan 35, Notre Dame 31[edit]
    This time Michigan was the team to come back from a steep deficit. The Wolverines trailed 24–7 entering the fourth quarter and took a 28–24 lead with 1:12 left. Notre Dame scored a touchdown with 31 seconds left to take the lead 31–28, but Michigan's quarterback Denard Robinson drove the team 80 yards to score again with two seconds left. It was the latest point in a game that an opponent has scored a touchdown to beat Notre Dame.

Robinson ran for 108 yards and passed for 338 yards and four touchdowns. This was the first night game in the history of Michigan Stadium.[53] A crowd of 114,804 was in attendance, setting a post-1948 NCAA collegiate football attendance record. (A 1927 Notre Dame – Southern California game at Soldier Field in Chicago, prior to NCAA record keeping for attendance, drew an estimated 117,000 – 123,000.)[54][55][56]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Bobda...the usual BAPP vs Michigan Jellies?

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

2011: Michigan 35, Notre Dame 31[edit]

This time Michigan was the team to come back from a steep deficit. The Wolverines trailed 24–7 entering the fourth quarter and took a 28–24 lead with 1:12 left. Notre Dame scored a touchdown with 31 seconds left to take the lead 31–28, but Michigan's quarterback Denard Robinson drove the team 80 yards to score again with two seconds left. It was the latest point in a game that an opponent has scored a touchdown to beat Notre Dame.

Wow time flies..... Tate Forcier seems like yesterday... I was still in Michigan when they were talking about him coming in.... and in 2011 my niece was a freshman at Michigan attending her first football game..... seems like yesterday for sure.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Michigan is one those teams that is very dangerous. They are talented but seem to underachieve but have the potential to break loose and have a great game. Notre Dame's defense should be a good antidote for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Thanks for all those wonderful memories Terry!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Yost was a bigot but applying modern standards to judge our Founding Fathers also convicts them of the same charge. Regardless of the inequity of not considering the cultural environment that existed when a figure of history was alive, Yost, though very flawed, was not uneducated, country-bumpkin bigot as claimed by his detractors:
    The Ann Arbor Chronicle | Column: The Other Side of Fielding Yost

Rockne and Yost clearly did not like each other

Blue Books: The Yost-Rockne Feud | MVictors.com - Michigan Football History

I’ll take the bet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

You're on Bob!

I see that there are unsubstantiated reports out there that Seminole Boosters have Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly as their top choices to replace Willie Taggert. I don't think Kelly would leave ND for another college job to tell you the truth. I think barring something like another losing season, I think he'l retire as a ND coach. i wouldn't however bet against the right NFL job tempting him, but I really don't see him as a NFL guy.

8. Terry O'Keefe

On the Rockne / Yost feud. An interesting concept, coaches writing letters to on another.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Re Kelly—After his 1st undefeated regular season at ND, didn’t he express interest in the Eagles job? The rumor mill is starting up that Harbaugh’s agent is contacting NFL teams.

After looking at Rockne’s combative writing style, he would been a terror on Twitter had it existed
    90 years ago.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Terry O'Keefe

I saw that rumor on Harbaugh, do you believe it?

Rockne and Twitter, an interesting concept. Rock was not shy about promoting his team and himself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me, but still a rumor!;)

12. Terry O'Keefe

13. Bobdawolverweasel

Not sure. Both his parents and he live in AA and his young kids are in school. Looks like he is planting roots. But, he might be tiring of the flak he is receiving from some fans. Even if he loses to OSU this year I doubt if he would be fired and his teams are certainly better than what we had during the RR and Hoke years. So, if he leaves, it would be his choice, not M’s.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sad state of events when one stops to observe the situation that college coaches have to contend with now days. No one is ever happy and it's difficult to coach under those conditions. Almost as difficult as politicso_O

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Not related to football. But the Irish Women's Basketball team got a verbal from the sister of "Kat" Westbeld who was the glue on the 2018 Nat'l Championship team. Maddy Westbeld. She's top 50 player. They are still hoping that top 25 player Catlin Clark from Iowa will verbal to the Irish. This year the team is clearly rebuilding losing all 5 starters and having a couple of transfers. So they'll be young and new to playing together. Coaching matters though and Muffet is one of the best, so I expect a good competitive team. Just not likely to make the Final Four as we've become accustomed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

There was a time that most coaches were given 5 years, but the 24 hour news cycle, the access of fans to various social media platforms to express their unhappiness with the coach has shortened that you need to have significant progress in year 2 and if not by year 3 you're most likely done...at least in the minds of many fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Meanwhile at the other BT school in Michigan, there's an exodus.
    Michigan State football loses sixth player to NCAA transfer portal in 2019
    An alum told me Dantonio gets over 4 mil. if he's still coaching there on Jan. 20. Don't know if the 2 are related.

Somehow screwed up the original site posting. MSU has lost 6 players so far this season to the transfer portal. That's a significant number of players.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like it could be a rain game in Ann Arbor Sat night.

19. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Rain game or snow game?

20. Bobdawolverweasel

Possible rain showers. Evening temps in the high 40s.

• Like Like x 1